Green Eggs and Hamwiches
If parents hard-cook the eggs and cut open the avocado, even the youngest chef can make these silly (but tasty) cookie-cutter sandwiches, inspired by Dr. Seuss. An egg slicer, shown in Chapter 3, prevents little hands from needing a knife.
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
Do this first:
- Hard-cook 2 eggs (see the "Perfect hard-cooked eggs" sidebar, later in this chapter).
- Cut 1 ripe avocado in half and cut out or scrape out the flesh.
Ingredients and steps:
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 thin slices ham
- 4 slices bread, preferably whole wheat or multi-grain
- Peel the eggs.
- Place one egg in the egg slicer and lower the top, slicing through it. (Or, break up the eggs into small pieces with a knife or pastry blender.)
- Raise the top and turn the egg on its side. Lower the top, slicing the egg into finer pieces.
- Dump the sliced egg into a small mixing bowl.
- Repeat Steps 2 through 4 with the other egg.
- Add the avocado and mayonnaise to the bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the ingredients together into a chunky paste. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Spread the bread and ham slices out on the cutting board. Cut the centers out with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Make the sandwiches by placing a ham cut-out on a bread cut-out, then spread on some egg salad. Top with a bread cut-out.
If the bread is soft enough and the cookie cutter sharp enough, you can assemble the sandwich first and then cut it with the cookie-cutter—some multi-grain breads can be too dense for this.
Perfect Hard-Cooked Eggs
To hard-cook eggs, gently place several eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Cover with enough cold water to come one inch above the eggs. Bring to a boil on high heat. When the water boils, cover the eggs and turn off the heat. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Remove the cover and using a slotted spoon, place the eggs in a colander in the sink and run cold water over them until they're cool to the touch. Peel immediately for best results or chill until ready to use.
Recipes: Breakfasts, Brown-Bags, & Breads
Recipe © 1999 by Kate Heyhoe
Search this site:
Brown-Bag Barcelona Chicken
Buttermilk Basil Dressing
Chinese "Barbecued" Pork
(A No-Flame, No-Fire Recipe)
Green Onion French Bread
Happy, Dappy, Flappy Jacks
Irma's Spiced Nuts-to-You
Mexican Fiesta Taco
or Burrito Mix
More Cooking Tips
General Mills Groceries
Save up to 30% on select General Mills breakfast, baking, snacks and boxed meals brands such as Chex, Cheerios, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Fruit Roll-ups, Hamburger helper and more.
Save up to 30% on select Popchips.
Save up to 30% on select Annie's Homegrown boxed meals, snacks, cereals and dressings.
Nong Shim Noodles
Save up to 30% on select Nong Shim noodles and snacks.
Organic Valley Milk
Save up to 30% on select Organic Valley organic milk.